Michael Gove ‘not convinced’ by case for further fracking in UK

Michael Gove says he is “not a believer” in the case for further fracking in the UK, splitting a cabinet after Boris Johnson ordered a reconsideration and backed a reversal of the Jacob Rees-Mug suspension.

Gove, Leveling Up Secretary, spoke at an environmental reception where he spoke of the need for more coastal wind power.

Coastal winds are often blocked by moderation plans because the rules make it easier for communities to object. But Gove’s brief now includes the plan, raising the possibility that he could use system reforms to get permission for coastal wind projects.

Casting Vladimir Putin in the role of “pusher” of oil and gas for hydrocarbon addiction in the West, Gov. said at the reception: “The only way you can free yourself from addiction is to diversify our energy sources. The only way to diversify our energy sources is if we We make sure that we continue to invest in renewable, coastal and coastal wind, solar energy, and look at the potential for hydrogen in the future, if we can be part of the nuclear mix.

Ministers are exploring the case for lifting the ban on fracking after ordering a new energy strategy No. 10 in the wake of rising prices and global measures to reduce dependence on Russian oil and gas. The United Kingdom is phasing out Russian oil by the end of the year and is also trying to reduce gas.

However, it was revealed this week that very few MPs have said they would be happy with a fracking site in their own constituency. Asked if they would support Bhangara in their seats, only five of the 137 MPs said they would. Forty-one people said they would oppose it, the rest did not respond or declined to comment.

There is still uncertainty about the fracking wells owned by oil and gas manufacturing company Quadriller, which plans to concrete them in a few weeks.

Johnson told Business Secretary Quasi-Quarten that it “doesn’t make sense” to seal his shale gas wells. His spokesman also opened the door to a change in the UK’s position last week, saying “all options” would be considered before the upcoming energy strategy was completed.

However, no action has yet been taken to reverse the notice issued by the Oil and Gas Authority (OGA) that both wells should be plugged with cement by the end of June. The government has instead indicated to Quadrilla that it welcomes an application for an extension to keep the wells open.

Last week, the government repeatedly insisted there were no lawsuits for fracking. Greg Hands, a business minister, also hit a negative note in the House of Commons on Tuesday, saying: “Even if the truce is lifted, there will not be enough gas available to counteract the effects of high prices in Western Europe. Don’t throw. “

In contrast, Jacob Reese-Mug, Minister of Brexit Opportunity, has indicated support for policy change in the cabinet and in public.

In his Mogcast podcast, he called shale gas “very clear” and dismissed concerns about vibrations caused by drilling. He said: “The effects of some earthquakes can only be measured by sophisticated instruments. Others assume there is a sidewalk between you and the house, equivalent to a bus passing by your house. And as I say, this is not a San Francisco earthquake. “


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.